Never to plan…

Y’all might recall THIS post from last week, where I did a bit of fargle-snorkering.

The plan this weekend was to take the truck back up, finish off the flashing where I foamed last weekend (got too hot to work and the foam needed to cure), and then haul some trash out of the building.

Then we were going to use the hot part of the day to clean the inside lower floor of the Cupola building, perhaps rearrange some shelves etc. I also had some minor electrical woes to cure. All inside work, and all cool, because we have air-conditioning in the Cupola.


So, to summarize:
1) Use Fargle-snorker.
2) Work in air-conditioning.
3) Eat lunch (that’s ALWAYS part of the plan).

Absolutely nothing went the way we planned of course!

1) The heat ate the battery on the Fargle-snorker. We’ve been over 100 for 60 some days now, and that’s as hard on batteries as cold, but we just used it last week. Heat-kill in a week means the battery is toast. I’ve got it on the charger so hopefully I can work in the morning, but I’m gonna have to buy a new one (sigh).

2) The heat ate the air-conditioning at the Cupola. Gad. Turned it on, no cool air. Sigh. Checked it out…lost the fan motor in the condenser (outside) unit. While checking it out it even managed to start running backwards.

Bad fan motor, bad contactor/relay (still working but arc-damaged), bad start/run capacitor. I’ll have to hunt parts for it Monday/Tuesday.

Pretty much fried myself in the heat, getting the old motor/etc out so I can make sure and get the correct ones. Good hour to get it all apart.

Funny…I couldn’t get the fan off the motor…loosened the set screws and it would not budge. Tried prying/etc and it simply would not move.

Gave up and decided I’d haul the fan/motor downstairs where I could work on it better and with more tools (and perhaps a little lube).

Halfway down the stairs the fan popped right off in my hand the the 25 pound motor went tumbling down the stairs (almost took out a window!)

Changed some lights and cleaned up a couple other electrical woes before it got too hot downstairs to work. Didn’t take long…we were headed for 104 or so today.

3) Lunch. Time for lunch. Headed to Paris for lunch and to pay a visit to Homeowner Hell to get some stuff. What could possibly go wrong? Well, our favorite Chinese place appears to have flat burned down…most of the roof is gone and the building is gutted.

Hope they rebuild…they were always busy and the food and service were good. We’ll see I guess. Heck, I’m not even sure it burned? I can’t find anything in the Paris news (we do, however, have an article about a deer that followed a guy on his morning walk).

Ah well. Lunch was at Weezy’s Restaurant in Blossom, Texas…good burgers. Good catfish. Good iced-tea.

Pics later…

So…lots of fail…but got stuff done anyway. A little wiring, some lights fixed, a little cleaning, some excellent lunch…and now…a siesta!

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings…

Daniel Meyer

About Daniel Meyer

Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
This entry was posted in Heat/Air Conditioning, On the Square. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply